View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
rdj999
rdj999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rdj999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rdj999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rdj999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rdj999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
I don't know if this would work across separate Kindles or not, but it is possible to back up the collections.jar file. If you still have the original Kindle, you could copy the file to your PC, then when you get the new one, back up any existing file, replace it with the copy from the first Kindle, then do a Restart and see if it "takes". (If not, just replace it with the back-up from the new Kindle and Restart.)
I do not believe that will work, or worse, it could confuse the Kindle terribly. The activity in the referenced article copied the collections.json file to and from the same Kindle -- which could be very different than moving it from one Kindle to another, even if both Kindles seem to contain the "same" content.

Collections do seem to be defined in the file system/collections.json which seems to be a simple text file. Mine starts like this:

{"General Reference@en-US":{"items":["*9e97434880f115813437c1910b6dba7398c12e52","#ThankYouLetter_A1F83G8C2ARO7P^PSNL"],"lastAccess":1280322620840},"...

Notice the funny string of (hexadecimal) digits in red. Also, the "file name" ("ThankYouLetter...") is not exactly the same as the name of the actual file ("Thank You Letter..."). Also, "#" is frequently used (by geeks) as a "comment" character, meaning "ignore the rest of this thing unless you're a human reading this".

That hexadecimal string is likely a location on that Kindle where the item is located. Placing the same item on a different Kindle would likely result in a different identifying string. If you plop the collections.json file from one Kindle onto another, the new Kindle will likely go looking in all sorts of strange places for content items, and that might blow its mind.

One might, then, wonder if it would be better (less "risky") to mount one Kindle as a disk drive on a PC, copy all if its files to the PC, then mount another Kindle and copy all of those files to it. Having seen the [tt]collections.json[/tt] file, my educated guess is this would not work either and could also risk scrambling the second Kindle.

My reasoning for this conclusion is that copying files from one Kindle to the other does not guarantee that each file is located in the same "location" in the second Kindle's memory that the file occupied in the first. That would be highly unlikely to occur, so if the collections file has references to these "locations", they would be meaningless as well.

-^-rdj-^-
rdj999 is offline   Reply With Quote