View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #9
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Thread started from this post - I have the feeling I was about to highjack that thread completely
Hah, remember that you are at MobileRead, where hijacking is considered a virtue worth rewarding with a hundred other hijack posts. So the next time you're in the mood, hijack away! Except of course when you find yourself in the conservatory forum, where the punishment for hijacking is cutting off fingers to keep one from typing.

Quote:
Thanks for all the recommendations
It's funny how tastes differ, I would say Sarah Waters' books are not intellectual and/or arty enough to call it literary fiction, I'd say it was 'general', though also very high quality w. reg. to storytelling and writing style. Jeanette Winterson on the other hand, I would say is literary I like "Oranges are not the only fruit", which I think is probably her least literary and the most accessible. I've tried some of her other books, too, but they never really caught my interest.
Oh, you'll get no argument from me about Winterson's "literariness"--I'm quite sure her writing is in that category. But I see we disagree about Waters, so we agree to disagree. Thinking about it, maybe a better tag for her novels would be just literature--with a capital L.

Quote:
I'll definitely give "Night Watch" a second try. In fact I just bough an e-version. I have it in hardback, but every time I look at it on the bookshelf I just think 'later' because it's such a large book
I would venture to say that "Night Watch" is her most "literary" novel--unlayering characters with the aid of the plot device, and sustaining politcal undertones. (Oh yuck, now I think I'm sounding too "literary".)

Quote:
I wasn't specifically looking for anything in "that department" but if you have recommendations...
No need to blush--it's only us MR geeks.

Quote:
Do you know "Rubyfruit Jungle" by Rita Mae Brown?
I can still clearly remember the time I plunked down on a chair at a Barnes and Noble Cafe, in a town I didn't like (I was on a trip), and tried to read that book. I didn't like it at all, and I've never tried another Rita Mae Brown book since. I think maybe Fannie Flagg is the better and funnier writer.

Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote