View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Will e-book readers make your library obsolete?

Bloomberg columnist David Pauly is contemplating the potential effects the Kindle might have on the future of home libraries. And the future ain't looking good (if you ask David).

Quote:
When my wife and I made our house bigger several years ago, I pampered myself and reserved one of the new rooms for books. The library cost about as much as our new kitchen, so it was an indulgence.
Quote:
With the advent of digital books, I’m afraid people will start asking me why I don’t just download everything we have on our shelves onto the Kindle -- Amazon has 230,000 digital titles available -- and convert the library into another bedroom for the grandkids?
Quote:
It’s just a bit of progress I can do without. I’m convinced I can hear Johann Gutenberg rolling over in his grave.
So I started a new poll. Do you think an e-book reader might at one point replace your library at home (or perhaps did it already)? If yes, would you be worried?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote