View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
LucidDreams
Tech Reader
LucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader Pocket Edition PRS-350
PRS-700 vs PRS-505 for PDF files?

I'm in the market to buy my first eBook Reader. I have limited my purchase down to the PRS-700 or PRS-505, thanks to Sony's $100 credit for purchases over $299 when applying/using a Sony Credit Card. With that said, I'm trying to determine which of the two Sony eBook Readers I should get. From a price perspective I'm leaning towards the PRS-505.

I'm not looking for a lot of the features that the PRS-700 has, though they would be nice to have. But one thing is a MUST - the ability to read PDF files. I'm not talking about A4 (8.5x11") PDF files since asking a 6" screen to display such documents is not realistic. Most of the PDF books that I currently have are in/around the 6x9" size - standard book size. But from what I've read the PRS-700 has the ability to zoom and pan a PDF file where the PRS-505 can't, so it might have some use for A4 PDF's - for limited reading purposes.

Given my needs - will the PRS-505 be able to handle PDF's that are around the 6x9" size. Also, is it possible for the PRS-505 to "crop" or "zoom" (without reflow) so the white boarder in the PDF file doesn't exist anymore (vs processing the PDF to remove that space)? And can it do this feature in both portrait and landscape modes? Figure I will most likely be reading the PDF files that are 6x9" in landscape do to the small size of the eBook reader display.

I know there are other eBook Readers that are better for PDF documents - iliad, soon to be plastic logic, soon to be Astak 9.7, etc. But I'm looking for something more portable. If I really like my 1st eBook Reader then I will most likely get the Plastic Logic eBook reader once it becomes available but will use that for around the house, to get me away from using a PC/Laptop for reading. As I see it, people will need to eBook readers - one for portable on the go reading (small) and one for reading newspapers/letters (larger) which would be done at work/home but not really taken/used on the go in personal life (ex: not going to take it on the beach or to a coffee shop).
LucidDreams is offline   Reply With Quote