View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I totally disagree with that. The idea behind reflowable text is to allow the reader to set the formatting. Forcing a font on a reader is so Apple-like. Plus I guarantee a forced font won't have a uniform look or quality across devices as each device renders text uniquely.
I see nothing wrong with "forcing" a reader to see certain fonts for chapter headers and other special text (verse, song, signage, drop-caps) that may occur in a book... not to mention being able to use glyphs or characters that may not exist in standard, included fonts. After, all... what's the point of having the ability to embed (or choose) different fonts if it's considered bad form to do so. There still needs to be a level of artistic freedom in creating an ebook... otherwise, what's the point of having the ability to style the text at all?

I will agree that forcing a reader to endure your particular font of choice for the main, basic text of the book is a bad idea (unless you need access to special characters that would otherwise be rendered as ugly question-marks or weird squares.)

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-23-2012 at 12:31 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote