View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #23
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
Well I disagree with you.
My post (and I thought most of the others) were trying to be helpful in suggesting that it is not necessary to use the Kobo software as quite a few people aren't very happy with it (although many people do seem to use it without issue) and also that it not necessary to use several different types of software unless you want to.
Several posters use Calibre exclusively and others use ADE exclusively. Many people don't find it confusing or complicated to chose another lot of software instead of the Kobo app.
It's all about sharing our own experiences.

BUT we also understand that sometimes people just want different things. I (and several other posters) congratulated tb74 on his his new Sony.

It would be nice we could have different opinions and not resort to using insults when we disagree.
I think the whole point being made was that the person ditched the kobo because it's own software is basically useless and they didn't want to have to go through several softwares and steps just to get a book onto their device.
It's actually a valid point, regardless of wether people 'should' use calibre or not.
It'd be nice that as soon as someone mentions something bad about the kobo the default response isn't "well you should've done xyz with xyz softwares and see ya later, your post isn't helpful anymore because you don't like the kobo".
I have to say that i have noticed this attitude A LOT on the Kobo forum, i even got a PM once giving me the good news about me saying how much i like my new sony and recommending it (albeit from a nice person, so that's all good). I've noticed it a lot from the same usernames as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Coming in and firing off, sitting back and watching the activity as if you are kicking an ant nest over might be amusing for that person though. Certainly offers nothing to the discussion.
Given the amount of time and posts i've put on here, it'd be a bit off-the-mark to suggest that i'm a troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennoel View Post
Your statement that "if you have an e-reader you use calivre" is ri-DONK-ulous.

I have had my reader for months and I don't use calibre. I'm so sick of people pushing it like it's the new crack. While it works for some people and they love it, I can't be bothered. I'm not a techie geek and I don't want more software on my system. I don't care how easy you think it is to use. It is perfectly reasonable for someone to buy a reader and expect to be able to use it WITHOUT adding 3rd party software.
This is the exact point.
It makes it hard to recommend a product for a less than tech-savvy user when you know for a fact that the software that comes with the ereader is crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboNo View Post
P.S. Had an opportunity to talk with a Kobo rep, and there is an update on the update. It is coming soon.
The update issues are another factor, but you can't really mention them or you get the "i'd rather wait and have it perfect, than have it rushed and bad etc etc etc".

I'll just add a disclaimer here and say that it may only be my view that anyone that is critical of the Kobo and says their moving, or have moved, to another device get a pasting on this forum.
It may also be only my view that software that comes with a device, no matter how cheap or expensive, should at least work. An hour to download an epub? Not on.

Anyway, label me a troll or whatever you like... i still stand by my opinion that the Kobo is a protected species for some and critising it, or it's software, results in "well all your troubles are software and you should use Calibre, but you've moved to another reader so piss off to another forum" replies from some, not all, but some.
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote