View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #65
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
If you want a dictionary, note-taking, etc., I think the comparison is between the Kindle and the 600 Reader. And I'd give the edge to the Reader. Unless, for some (perverse) reason, you are intent on the "instant gratification" of wireless transfer and being hogtied to Amazon's restrictive format. <SNIP>
I've got a kindle. I love the instant gratification of wireless transfer, but don't always use it with Amazon's restrictive formats. In fact, most of the books in Amazon's formats that I get are the modern books that they make available for free.

I love being able to go to places like manybooks and feedbooks while on my kindle to find the book I want, even if i'm not at home. I like being able to go to wikipedia, too.

I find it hard to consider myself hogtied to Amazon based on the fact that very little of what I read actually comes from Amazon. I can download books from other websites directly to my kindle with ease as long as they are available in DRM-free mobi, and if they're available in other DRM-free formats, I can easily download them to my computer, throw them in calibre, and read them just as easily as anyone else.
TuxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote