View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #742
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedumb2000 View Post
I do care (and I wonder how you got the impressions that I do not). That section you quoted sounds like you cannot even modify it for your own use. Meaning you cannot even change the metrics and use them on your Kindle if you own the font. Although in this case I would challenge the validity of such a clause, at least depending on the jurisdiction.

On the other hand, if you are allowed modify a font for your own use, distributing only a binary patch should not pose a problem, since you can only use it if you already own the original font and it consists in no part of any copyrighted code of the original font.
I know you care, or you would not have brought it up. And yes, technically the EULA forbids modifying for any reason even for personal use. BUT, it grants you the right to modify it anyway, if your local law disallows taking away that right. Check section 2.1. I did not quote that on purpose, as there might be a jurisdiction in tie world that does not grant you the right to do so. Example: removing DRM for personal use is legal most everywhere, but NOT 100% everywhere in the world, for instance. It is still very much illegal to distribute after modified or drm-freed.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote