View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
You're right again. I only tested my ePUB with the Firefox ePUB Reader plug-in, which displays it exactly as it should be, but neither ADE nor ADE-based ebook Readers display the Arabic characters, and even if they did, they'd probably have the same problem as the Kindle apps, because I could tell from the length of the individual words, that they also do not support RTL text.
It does not display the characters because the default font has a rather narrow character covering. If you embed a font, or use a reader that lets you select a custom font, it will happily show the Arabic characters... in left-to-right order.

Note that the display order of the characters is something more complex than it seems. When I tried to have some Hebrew text inserted in a Latin-alphabet text, I concluded that one is expected to code the characters in the natural order of each language (reading order), and let the reading software handle the direction, don't use CSS or XHTML properties to specify the direction of a piece of text, unless you want to override the natural direction.

Quote:
I do hope that RTL support will be added to the next version of ePUB standard and MOBI file spec.
As far as I can see, the ePUB spec already requires right-to-left, it's just Adobe who does not support it, and that's one of the reasons why having Adobe dominate (practically monopolize) the ePUB readers is a bad thing.

As for the Mobipocket format, if there is any spec, it's secret, because it's a closed, proprietary format. I wouldn't count on it being updated any time soon.

Last edited by Jellby; 01-29-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote