View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
As a very new newbie I hope my post makes sense!
I am experimenting with converting books.
I have downloaded Calibre.
I have joined up with Borders and put a free ebook into my library there.
I have downloaded Adobe Digital editions, and have moved the ebook into there.
Now I am stuck.
I am trying to put the Borders ebook into Calibre so I can convert it.
I have put something into Calibre-Calibre has called it Unknown and saved it as an 'exe' format.
I click on it to try and convert it but Calibre says it can't as 'no suitable source format was found.'
I have no clue where I have gone wrong-can anyone help??
Thanx
Hi,

And welcome to the forum.

If you are trying to read a book that you bought at Borders or B&N, chances are the book is DRM protected. DRM protection is an internal codification that basically makes difficult (not impossible) to convert books from epub to mobi or any other format.

In order to convert B&N or Borders epub books to any other format via Calibre, you must remove the DRM protection 1st. Keep in mind such process is still illegal here in United States. Once removed or stripped, you can convert as usual via Calibre.

You must put an epub file, not an exe on Calibre. At least, that's how I convert on my Linux machine.

Most big online bookstores are implementing DRM protection which makes difficult or annoying, moving your collection from one device to another, unless the destination one supports epub natively (not the case with Kindle)
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote