View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #14382
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Now I'm going to try out Carmilla. This novella intrigues me because I knew nothing about it until it was nominated for the book club read this month. Pre-dating and heavily influencing Bram Stoker's Dracula? This I have to read.
Finished this and enjoyed it. One of my rare one-session reads, but it wasn't a huge book so that's not exactly a boast.

I didn't find it utterly bone-chilling. I sometimes think a person relating what someone else has related doesn't bring with it the necessary immediacy that gets the heart racing. But it flowed relatively well and if I spent a little time recreating certain scenes how I would imagine them, I could more readily relate to the terror felt by Laura.

Now - another indie effort. This time it's Martuk ... The Holy by Jonathan Winn. I've been looking forward to this as I put in on my read/review list before I read too far into the sample provided. I was taken with the language employed. I'm expecting this to be a literary fantasy with ties into the bible which should make for fascinating reading.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote