View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
This was reported on the Dutch news website www.nu.nl:

Apple changes iBooks Author EULA after criticism

I'll translate the article below:

I think that this rewrite is fine: Apple seems to explicitly state that you can do whatever you want with iBooks Author and the non-iBook formats it can output, as long as you don't sell the iBook format version anywhere else except for the Apple store.

I can live with that.
That was always my understanding (that you could give the content away, but that they retain commercial rights). I don't think the clarification really makes anyone who wasn't happy before more happy about it.

Some questions I still have are:

what if someone creates a toolchain that outputs ibooks format, but doesn't involve iBooks Author? Does iBooks (or iTunes Producer) check for some secret key that would prevent this from working? Or would they care?

What if someone creates an app for, say, Android (or Windows, Mac OS), that can open and view .ibooks files? Will Apple object?

In other words, do they explicitly claim rights for the format itself?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote