View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #35133
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I've tuned my guitar to the dropped Dorien mode of the key of D. Makes it sound like a sitar. I'm sitting here playing improvisational ragas in memory of one of the finest musicians to grace our generation... Ravi Shankar passed away, at age 92. His classical Indian music influenced so much of our super groups; the Beatles, the Stones, Jefferson Airplane, etc.

(For you guitar players:
Drop your low E to D
Leave the A and the D strings as they are
Drop the G down to match the 4th string D
Drop the B down to A
Drop the E down to D.
This gives you, from high to low, DADDAD
Play your melody lines on the high D and A. The rest of the guitar will resonate sympathetically sounding like a sitar.)

Ravi, R.I.P.

Stitchawl
Very sad news about Ravi Shankar. He was amazing, and opened a lot of minds to exploring musical possibilities that existed outside of the Western world's traditional 12-tone scales. Fortunately, his daughter is still with us, and has also produced some fine music, including some synthesizer/sitar duets that are really fantastic.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote