View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 02:25 PM   #23
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Archos 605 Wifi, & Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Hey it's a value judgment, if you find doing that is worth $10 or whatever amazon charges you, that's your call. But, I for one am tired of people being afraid of computers. I mean come one, switching on a computer, connecting a reader, launching an app and clicking a button, really isn't that hard.

And the "little bit of scripting skill" is only needed if you want to automate launching the app and clicking the button when the reader is connected.
It is a value judgment. Consider the New York Times.

Once upon a time I had a physical subscription ($$$$). Then I went to their electronic FAT CLIENT ($$$). Then to their Flash based electronic client ($$$). Then to their XP/Vista Reader ($$).

More recently with the Sony Reader, I seriously considered signing up for their PDF email version ($$$), then converting it to the reader. But it was not practical time/effort wise. If Sony had offered the NYT through their portal and all I had to do was a plug/sync every morning, that would be fine.

Now with the Kindle I have signed up for the auto-delivery version ($$) which is delivered automatically. Formatting sucks (I really wish the team that produces the Reader version or Electronic Edition was creating the Kindle edition... not their web/RSS team), but at least I get it automatically, conveniently. I can only hope they will work to improve its look.

Yes, I can read for free on the web, but I honestly don't have that much free time in the morning to read on a web browser. That's why I got an electronic reader. And I am willing to pay for that.

If some day someone finally gets me the NYT Electronic Edition on a reader, I'll gladly pay for that too.
rflashman is offline   Reply With Quote