View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #29
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The point is that there won't be 3000 publishers who do books that you are interested in. Most people have certain types of books they like, certain genres. For example, I like SF/F, adventure and history, so I'm not likely to be visiting all the romance publishers. How many SF/F publishers are there? Perhaps 3 to 4 major ones and a couple very small ones, certainly no more than 10 or 12. Saying there would be 3000 publishers is a bit like saying there are 300 million people in the US when I'm trying to find Ed Rothschild in Atlanta, Ga. I only have to look in Atlanta, not the entire US.
About 2000 new sf/fantasy books come out each year. If each publisher is the size of baen, that cuts it down to a manageable 25 publishers. Which still doesn't strike me as being particularly manageable. (And I'm not sure what adding adventure and history would do to that number).

I would much rather go to *one* place (say, Amazon), and be able to find everything there.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote