View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #22
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
One would hope they got something more than a warning and a wink.
But the last I heard, the EC had *accepted* the Gang of Six's plea bargain terms and no mention was made of any further action.
If anything, I saw more outarage over Amazon (and other companies) operating out of Luxenbourg to keep consumer costs low than over the conspiracy.

(shrug)

My main point remains that what has happened (and is happening) in the US is not a good guideline for what is coming in other regions. The book industry is simply too fragmented by region, language, culture, *subject/genre*, and politics. And that is how the traditional publishers like it.
The primary "outrage" over Amazon concerns funnelling all their business through a low tax regime and avoiding tax in the countries where the business is actually done... for some reason people think that companies ding business in their country should actually pay tax on their profits mad in that country instead of creative accounting to move their profits to a low tax base and claim to be loss-making in the place where they actually do their business... and that's not just Amazon...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote