View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsimon View Post
I'm a new Sony Reader owner and am trying to get the lay of the land with respect to content. Apart from the stuff on the Connect website, it appears that other formats out there can be converted to LRF. However, the various threads I've tried to follow here either lead me to some website in Russian or to blithe remarks about writing my own code, running various scripts or otherwise highly non-plug-and-play activities. Is there a way to do this that is relatively straightforward to folks who just use software but don't create it? I bet the answer is here somewhere, but there is an awful lot of chatter to plow through. Can somebody provide an update? Thanks.
Let me start off by giving a quick rundown.

There are some really good tools available for the Sony Reader to make content for it in LRF format. Right now, the two big ones are Book Designer (BD) and html2lrf. Pielrf (IMHO) still needs some work at least for Windows. But it can get there and I think it will.

BD is hosted on a Russian website. The links to get it are available someplace on the forum. You need the base install and the upgrade for it. html2lrf is part of Libprs500 and used to convert html to LRF. Once you learn how to format your html, it's not too hard to use. It's not a GUI like BD.

That said, there are other tools for dealing with manga/comic book scans and PDF files. We'll leave those for the moment.

You can purchase books for the reader from the Connect store, but you'll find it limited at the moment. If you have a Windows based computer you can go to Google and search for Convert LIT 1.8 and you'll find it. Then you can purchase LIT format books and use CLIT to break the DRM or convert to HTML. Then you can load the DRMless LIT file into BD and edit from there or use html2lrf to deal with the HTML code. Your choice.

There is NO true plug and play solution (IMHO). Every program for creating LRF requires some sort of twiddling about. Even if it's just in BD fixing what it things are titles that really are not. These tools help make the reader much better then it ever would be if all we had was the Connect store.

I'm attaching the two files needed for BD. But remember, the 2nd file while current can change at any time and not be current. So watch the forum to find out when it changes and what the new link is for the update.

1. unzip the file BookDesigner40.zip
2. Right click on th .msi file from the ZIP and install
3. unzip the file Bookdesigner2007-07-30.zip on top of the files in the c:\Program files\book designer\ directory and you have it updated.

Now go read the forum and you'll find directions in various places on how to do what you want using BD and html2lrf.

If you still have questions AFTER reading the Sony Reader foums in their entirety, feel free to ask.

Jon

In case anyone has any issues with BD 05/30/2007, here is BD 04/12/2007 just in case. But if you install this update, you can replace the file clit12a.exe with clit 1.8. Just copy clit 1.8 over clit12a.exe leaving the name the same.

It has come to my attention that the upgrade for 2007-07-30 is not complete. It relies on people having gone through the upgrade path.. 2007-04-12, 2007-05-30, and then 2007-07-30. So what I have done is combine all three upgrades into one. I started with the earliest and added the others to it in date order. So now the 2007-07-30 update should be complete. So you can now start with the installer and then use this to upgrade and you won't get the error message that you cannot make Sony books.

If there is a problem, please let me know.

Also please go grab the Book Cleaner files over at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11649
Attached Files
File Type: zip BookDesigner40.zip (8.69 MB, 25906 views)
File Type: zip Bookdesigner2007-07-30.zip (6.03 MB, 28783 views)
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote