View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #8
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Fourth for Jetbook on pageturning merit.

As far as comparing it to paper books...I'll never quite see the logic in that comparison. I can thumb-flip through 100 pages in less than a second, slowing down just enough to the point of paragraph recognition on a given side of the leaf. This functions about as quickly as using my scroll wheel to run through pdf files at 5-10 pages per second. I can also flip back and forth between sections of text virtually instantly, and of course page flips only happen once every 2 pages when reading linearly, and the actual process of turning can be much faster than half a second anyways, unless you're the person who holds the book in one hand, and then very deliberately licks your finger once you reach the last word of a page and drag the page across (which, admittedly, is a guilty pleasure of mine from time to time sans finger-licking...gotta love that tactile response of the paper moving under the fingers).

These habits of moving quickly around books aren't exactly esoteric. Lots of people want responsiveness and more rapid intratextual navigation...and for them (self included), e-ink can be very frustrating to work with. Jetbook's got a big advantage, at least with the basic page turning. Hope they make a nicer-looking device that doesn't belong on the set of Tron in the future (admittedly it's not as bad as Kindle Gen1).
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote