View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #11
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Personally I think you should be allowed to crack it on any "purchased" works. DRM makes some sense with rentals, but otherwise all it does is restrict what legitimate consumers can do with something they legitimately paid for. It certainly doesn't hinder pirates.
DRM will only start making sense for rentals once it stops being used for legally owned content (purchased or free).

It totally makes sense to have restrictive terms on essentially loaned items. But in addition to all the other problems with DRM, the fact that it's used on content people supposedly own means stripping technology is probably far more ubiquitous than it might otherwise be. If owned content were DRM-free (or stripping programs were provided mainstream) and rentals had a unique DRM protocol, I doubt the demand to crack it would be anywhere near as high. Rental companies would probably save a lot of money on having to buy replacement copies.

As it stands, in addition to punishing honest consumers, DRM also hurts rental businesses.

And I was all ready with my nice letter, only to find that it's not open to submission yet! Ah well. It's in the can, at least.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote