View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 12:16 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Deceit? Maybe...

I am ambivalent about the article. Yes, it appears to be factually accurate. And there's no doubt in my mind that Amazon has the same or fewer *NOVELS* available than one can find at Fictionwise, Mobipocket or Booksonboard. Ditto that the Amazon Kindle prices are a tad higher.

However, I do believe Amazon has the 80,000+ available Kindle titles - just not all of those titles being novels. To those of us who primarily use our ebook readers as a method for enjoying fiction, not finding 80,000+ novels in Kindle format appears to be a 'bait and switch' tactic. However, many people want a dedicated ebook reader *and* non-fiction titles. Here is where the difference is made up; and I can understand why Amazon chose to ensure a large number of non-fiction titles are available. They want to entice the non-fiction reader to the Kindle.

Deceit? To a fiction enthusiast, sure. To a non-fiction newcomer, it's more of a Welcome mat, IMO.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote