View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
The Kindle as information screen

I have mounted a Kindle 4 next to my entrance door showing updated public transportation and weather information. The setup is simple: I disabled the screensaver and pointed the Kindle's browser to a page that auto updates the information. The Kindle is connected to power and it all seems to be very stable. I am quite satisfied with the solution since an epaper screen is good esthetics for such purpose and the total setup is quite inexpensive ($89!)
compared to other solutions. I am also considering setting up an extra screen (kindle) in my kitchen to show images by simply using a webpage that shows a full screen slideshow that updates i.e every 2 hours.

The only issue is that the information is that the Kindle browser also shows the address bar and the status bar and I am not able to turn them off and enter true full screen mode. I have looked around and my conclusion is that it is neither possible on the Kindle as shipped from Amazon and nor is there any hack available to enable a true full screen browser on the Kindle.

Does anybody have any solutions for the full screen issue? Have anybody build an application or anything that can do the same, but in full screen mode?

I know that there is a VNC client for the Kindle, but then I would need to set up a computer serving as a VNC host. That would add to both the cost and the complexity, and I am also concerned about the stability of VNC (this needs to run for months without interruption)

Alternatively is there any other epaper device with wifi and a stable full screen browser?
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote