View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
I haven't done it yet. I had a problem accessing the download via FireFox(on Ubuntu 9.10) so I switched to IE(on XP w/sp3) and I was able to download the file.

I read over the instructions which include the warning that it will switch to Polish and how to revert to english.

It also warns about backing up the 100 books from internal memory to an SD Card as hey will be lost. This makes me wonder whether I will have to re-authorize my reader with ADE afterwards and burn up another life of 6 lives before count reset required.

I'll do the update and let then report here in this post my finding for ADE.

John

***Update

FW Update went w/o a hitch. NOTE: I went from FW 0.18g to 0.20g.
ADE DRM was NOT impacted and what books I left in internal memory were still there (some DRM'ed and one non DRM - 4 in total). So I guess it just needs some free memory as work space for the install.

Hurray!
The left & right arrows now do paging in ePub.

The right side page numbers in ePub books are now very small (big change from FW 0.18g).

I am not sure about PDF in FW 18 but in FW 19 the arrow keys do paging with "Text Flow ON". If "Text Flow" is off then you have to use the paging buttons. I used a "Kindle Users Guide" as a bench mark and with "Text Flow ON" I think it this version does a better job than before but I didn't open the Doc in FW 18 just to refresh my memory.

I never saw the bookmark problem in FW 18 but it seems to be working the same in FW 20.
It remembers the font settings etc.

I see what the other poster meant about a blank page until you select settings and font zoom within an open book. It defaults on 12 and when you select another font size such as 18 the text appears. He stated this issue should straighten out with more use. Well he is right. I accidently hit an ePub manual while looking for a PDF and it opened with the default setting of font size 12 and displayed the text right away. This issue did not happen within a txt doc. HTML docs work as before.

I can't really notice a difference with the font style change. They must be fairly close in style. I use the serif and it is as expected - very pleasing to my eyes.

I also noticed that I did not lose the entries in my "Recent Reading" list with this update.

That's all for now. As for as I can tell with the first few minutes of use this firmware firmware doesn't seem to have removed any functions or degraded them.

Last edited by jlg432; 03-03-2011 at 12:23 PM.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote