View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
Just wondered if any writers here channel any real-life emotions into their writing and if anyone finds it a useful thing to do?

Had a bit of an emotional year but that's not the real me as I am normally very upbeat so am wondering if doing something positive like writing out my feelings might help.

When I write fiction the emotions are always pretend ones - I try to think how the person might feel in the given situation. I've never actually thought to use how I'm feeling in my writing.

Just a thought and interested in other opinions. I also could do with a distraction!
I love this question, I really do, because in so many writing forums and writing advice books they shy away from emotions in favour of the mechanics. I can only speak for myself, but I ONLY write when I FEEL something. I can't write when I'm not in any way emotive, or feeling. I NEED to be inspired to write well, and my emotions are more often than not the very inspiration I need.

Everything I write is in reaction to something; a song, an event in my day, a memory of losing someone close, regret, joy, happiness, Christmas (wohoo!). Emotion to me is the core of all good writing, in that it brings me closer to the writer; that individual who lives and breathes and experiences the world differently to every other living and breathing person. That's why I hate the advice so often given to writers that they should 'disappear' behind the words and the stories they tell.

Through your writing I will know your world and all its joys and pains.

So in short; yes, use it, use everything you have that makes you...you.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote