View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
carmenchu
Groupie
carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Win7,Win10,Lubuntu,smartphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
The illustrations in your version are smaller (about half size), but they have somewhat finer traces. They are probably from a better source (the paper quality of mine is not very good).
They are the originals from the Italian translation, and came in those sizes.
However, the ones in "Looking Glass" (Internet Archive) were originally
  • larger
  • full color: i.e.: buff (old paper) background

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I'm not sure a JPG can be black-and-white, I think they can't be indexed-colour. I've only seen them RGB or grayscale. I'd guess a true grayscale image would not be larger if encoded as RGB, but an "almost" grayscale image can be reduced if it's encoded as grayscale, and all colour information is thrown away. For the record, your images are reportes as RGB by Gimp.
Well, as to this:
I have noticed that it is with images as with fonts: not so much a matter of sheer size as of resolution. For instance: the last time I noticed a lost of sight, I changed the fonts to Clear Type ... and reduced them from Large to Medium. Still with them, so far. Equally, I find a good gray-scale small image not only more agreable and informative than a large B&W one, but it
  • fits nicely into Calibre viewer at the size comfortable for reading text without eye/neck strain;
  • takes a quarter of the size.
For instance: after downloading "Sylvie and Bruno" (some 18MB) I did a "tweak epub" and batch conversion through IrfanView, keeping names but *to gray-scale, *largest dimension, 500 px. The result, to my taste, is just beautiful: there it sits, in my Calibre, 4.3MB, waiting for leisure and mood...
IrfanView, by the way, reports those pictures at 8BPP - unless and until I begin to fool around with them - then they go back to 24BPP (full color) until I re-convert them to gray-scale (8BPP) or B&W (1BPP).
What .jpg doesn't support (as reported by IrfanView) is color-reduction - as do .gif and .png
I hardly ever use my X-Gimp, and am not very familiar with its workings: IrfanView is small, simple to use, and with exceedingly handy batch modes, both from GUI and command-line...
carmenchu is offline   Reply With Quote