View Single Post
Old 12-04-2007, 11:25 PM   #40
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by leewoc View Post
I've got down to 2 possibles I think, the iRex iLiad and the Bookeen CyBook V3.

Which device will give me the best range of reading material? What's the difference between e-ink and e-ink vizplex?
Since you are outside the US, the Cybook is probably your best bet for a device with a 6" screen.

Vizplex is the newest E-Ink screen. Its primary improvement is faster page turn speed. The iLiad uses the previous generation of E-Ink, but its custom controller, larger size and 16 grey scales still gives it the edge in everything except the time required to go to a new page. It is significantly more expensive though.

Both the iLiad and the Cybook use MobiPocket Reader software, so there is little practical difference in available e-books. MOBI is the only "secure", DRM-ridden, format supported on these devices - but it is one of the most popular. The iLiad also has FBReader, which will read many (DRM-free) reflowable e-book formats. However, it is typically possible to convert a non-secure e-book to the MOBI format on a desktop computer. So MOBI support is enough (and Cybook will support more formats natively over time).

Standard A4 PDFs are readable on the iLiad, less so (even after optimization) on the Cybook. Note that neither one will read Secure Adobe e-books (Secure PDFs).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote