View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 06:05 AM   #6
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
This library question is really an interesting one. If everyone can just sit at their computer at home and get current books from the library to read on their e-readers, why ever buy books?

I have a rant on how voluntarism is a major force that is almost not recognized in the capitalistic world today, and this seems like a similar phenomenon. And I worked for a company that couldn't cope when it was trying to sell a web browser, and Netscape and Microsoft started giving their browsers away for free. How do you make a buck when your product has suddenly been made free of charge?

And now, this is starting to happen to Ebooks! First of all, economists have to find a way to include free labor and free products as part of the nation's GNP -- I don't think they are now.

Anyway, are we entering another revolution? I'm beginning to feel like a rock star who I saw quoted once. He was looking very tired, and a critic asked him what was up. "Oh," the rock star groaned, "I think I'm a victim of one too many youth movements." He had gone from being a hippy to being a punk...

So, are we going to be the victims of one more revolution? Or the beneficiaries?
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote