View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #13
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
I think I'm in the same boat as several other participants on the 700 threads who are not based in the US or Canada.

I've been waiting patiently for the 700 with all it's new features but horrified that the screen doesn't even match up to the 505. What's worse is that since we're not in North America we can't see it for ourselves in person, which has been the wisest advice on the forums. I've seen a 505 in London and I've seen the screens of the Iliad and Cybook in person in Australia. If the 700 matched up to those screens I would have purchased it even with the price differential.

However, that's not the case. Further the Australian import price (based on today's exchange rate and including shipping) is AUD724, which is 45% more expensive than the 505 (also imported) or the Bebook/Hanlin bought locally.

In these economically challenging times you have to focus on the core value over the bells and whisltes. The core value of any ereader is the ability to read your book collection (in my case a wide collection of .LIT and .TXT novels and newsfeeds) as if it was a real, old world book. On this test alone it's nigh on impossible to take a punt on the 700 based on the first hand feedback of others
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote