View Single Post
Old 06-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #8
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Of course, the real question is why is this happening in the first place. So, some questions that might help:

- What sort of computer are you using? Windows or Mac? Which version of Windows?
- What firmware on the device?
- Have you tried a different cable? Different USB sockets?
- Have you tried a different computer?
- How many books on the device?
- When does it happen? During the initial connection or only when sending a lot of books? If the latter, how many is a "large batch"? And have you tried sending in smaller batches in the same session?
- Have you done check of the database on the device? How big is it? How much space is available on the drive?

Problems like this have been reported before, but not much recently and not quite what I think you are reporting. The most common report was for AMD based PCs running Windows XP. I don't know why these had problems, but they did.

Thank you for your time Davidfor.

I will check the points you mentioned. Trying a different cable or port had not occurred to me and I could try copying some books to the reader via my old laptop. Perhaps it helps.

I use firmware 3.3.0 and I love it. It has improved the general performance of my Kobo considerably. My PC runs Windows 7 with all the latest updates.

The size of the batch does not really seem to be the problem. If the Aura HD is connected for a longer time the chance of losing connection with it seems to grow. For example I might copy 50 books to the SD card without a problem directly after I hooked the reader to my PC, but it might lose connection at the moment I send just 1 book to the SD card when the reader has been connected for 10 to 20 minutes or so. Also it might not happen during the process of the book copying itself, but during the sending of the metadata.
Correction: I just lost connection to the reader after only a minute... So it seems completely random.

There is more than enough free space on my SD card. There is approximately 2 Gb of data on the 32 Gb card. 1725 MB of 3253 Mb of the internal onboard storage is free.

Last edited by Iskariot; 06-17-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote