View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 05:31 AM   #481
trex_daemon
Enthusiast
trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle 3 Wifi
Hello everybody.
I've managed to make a level shifter, and now, even if the tx part doesn't work, I was able to see the RX data from the kindle.
I've found out that the partition has error on this, this is what is causing the kindle not to boot.
I've tried several things:
flashed a custom kernel which extracted the whole rootfs and from there i wanted to perform a fsck.
I did, found a couple of errors, and now the kindle boots up, however it sdtill displays some "books", which were previously on it.
This is expected, as the fsck only checkes the rootfs partition..

I've formatted also the exported /mnt/us from windows , but still the data is shown.
From where does it get the books in the device. Maybe I should try to delete them from there ?
If I try to access one of them, the kindle freezes, of course.

Any help would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trex_daemon View Post
Hello,
First, I would like to say that the kindle debrick tools works
It's indeed a very useful tool.
But I have a kindle that I cannot debrick, I've tried several methods.
Here's the story:
My uncle wanted to update duokan on it, the update went wrong, and after reboot, the kindle stuck with the loading screen at ~20% (shown in the screenshot).Then he entered the debug menu, and pressed I, i guess (the option that formats all partitions). Then the kindle didn't boot not even at this point.
This is when he gave it to me

I've copied the firmware from another identical kindle, and with k3flasher, i've reflashed everything: kernel, devid, varfs, isis, partition3, basically all that was backed up with k3flasher.
Now the kindle got back to the original state, it booted at the same point as before.
Meanwhile I broke the cable connecting the display, so I had to order another one, therefore this project was dead for 1/2 year.
Today, I've charged the kindle (the battery was removed not to be drained) and tried to debrick with Kubrick.
The flashing completed successfully, it boots up (screen flashes, loading screen appears, but the progress bar stops again at 20%).

Right now I have no further idea what could have gone wrong.
Basically I've reflashed everything, but still doesn't boot.
I'm thinking to connect to the serial port, to check the kernel debug output. Maybe there i can do something.
But I need a 1.8V USB-Serial converter, which I have to order...

Any other ideas what I could do ?
Isn't there a way to write the kernel log to the SD partition to check it later (I can get to the debug menu, where I can mount the internal SD and it's visible from windows).

Last edited by trex_daemon; 07-07-2013 at 05:36 AM.
trex_daemon is offline   Reply With Quote