View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #31
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
??? why is that important?
I can't understand why people say that if you prefer 4:3, you must be apple brainwashed

Isn't it just personal preference? I like 4:3 more because I hold my ipad 2 in portrait mode most of the time. Web browsing in portrait mode with a 4:3 ratio is better (to me). Also, I never have to pan left and right in landscape mode. If I had a 16:9 screen though I would have to pan up and down more frequently. I've held a Motorolla Xoom and Acer Iconia in portrait mode and they are uncomfortable and awkward (especially the Xoom) due to the aspect ratio and weight distribution. When I browsed the web on my nook color I would've loved a 4:3 aspect ratio like the Pandigital Novel has (too bad it has a crappy resistive, low res screen).

When I read comic books (16:9/16:10 are both good for comic books as well, but still not as comfortable to hold) and magazines on my ipad 2, I always hold it in portrait mode, and love the 4:3 screen. Even reading a book in landscape mode with 2 page view is better to me than 16:9.

As far as games go, they are all programed and formatted for the aspect ratio (there are no black bars or anything) so it doesn't matter. In fact, I could use the portrait mode example here again. Tall and skinny might not work as well for some games, although wider in landscape mode could be an advantage. So, gaming is equivalent.

The one area where 16:9 (or 16:10) wins hands down is video. There is no dispute here. But, it depends on how important video is to the user.

To say that 16:9 is all advantage is short sighted. It depends on the user's preference and the task at hand. For me, reading and browsing in portrait mode is more important (and more comfortable on the ipad 2) than having black bars while playing videos. I'm not sure how Steve Jobs influenced my conclusion

If apple replaced the 4:3 screen with a 16:9 one it wouldn't change my opinion in the least bit. I would still prefer the 4:3. Instead, I would give another look to the HP Web OS tablet (also 4:3) as a replacement.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote