View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #86
JakeBadlands
JakeBadlands ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JakeBadlands ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JakeBadlands ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JakeBadlands ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JakeBadlands ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JakeBadlands ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JakeBadlands ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JakeBadlands ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JakeBadlands ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JakeBadlands ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JakeBadlands ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Color Lux
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I'm not fluent in Russian, but it sounded to me like the reviewer said it was "underlit" (something like "podsvietkom"), which I guess we would call backlit. It sounded to me like the director used the same term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Both were speaking too quickly for my poor Russian/Ukrainian abilities, and I took a guess at what I heard. The "podsviet..." part I heard clearly, which is what I based the "underlit" translation on (pod -> under, sviet -> light). I agree that it would be good to hear from someone who is fluent in Russian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I'm curious to know if the head of the company actually SAID "backlight" or if it was just translated or captioned that way in error.
Yes, you are right! I asked my Russian friend, yes the head of company
said backlit - "podsvetka", but that is because there is no such word in Russian
as frontlit - "nadsvetka". Actually, there is a Russian article about this device
where its said "Screen has podsvetka, more precisely, nadsvetka" :
http://www.ferra.ru/ru/epads/review/...nk-first-look/
(use Google Translate)

But, again, there is no such a word as nadsvetka, so everyone says podsvetka
JakeBadlands is offline   Reply With Quote