View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
tapar
Connoisseur
tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3g, Kindle Paperwhite v1
How do you hold iPad when reading?

I was wondering how people tend to hold the iPad when reading? I have a few standard grip/positions I tend to use and was curious if that was common.

I like to read in my recliner fully reclined so I am practically horizontal. The first thing I do is rotate the ipad till the dock port is on top, then lock the rotation. I lock the rotation because sometimes I read with it crooked and having it constantly switching to 2-page mode gets annoying. I usually start out with the bottom of it on my chest and using my left hand to hold the top with a grip that lets me change pages with my left thumb. Sometimes I switch the grip to my right hand and use my right thumb to change pages.

I also use a grip where I hold the ipad in my left hand. I will balance the bottom left corner in the center of my palm, support the back with three fingers and make kind of a cradle/stand out of my pinky finger along the bottom and my thumb along the side. That one gets tiring after a bit and I tend to grab it with both hands for a while and kinda hold it over my head, like I was reading it on the ceiling.

That last position has proven dangerous though, I have dropped the iPad onto my face a couple of times and just barely avoided serious injury. It cracked me pretty good and I realized that if it had landed edge first, it probably had enough force to break my nose. lol. I have dropped my kindle v1 on my face numerous times and mostly just get startled and laugh, with the iPad I actually get a bit nervous about it.

I use pretty much the same grips on the kindle as I do on the ipad, except I never use 2 hands on the kindle as it is light enough. The ipad is just hefty enough that for long reading sessions it can become annoying. I was wondering if anyone has any cool grips or tricks they use.
tapar is offline   Reply With Quote