View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmom03 View Post
Sorry for the easy (to everyone but me probably!) question--I have tried to search the Calibre forum but can't find the easy explanation I need
I have a Dropbox account--I got it a while ago and never did anything with it, but would like to put my calibre library on it.
So, anyway, I just want to be sure I am not deleting my library or something equally horrible. So I would go to the library icon and "create library" , send it to a new location (C:\Users\my name\Documents\My Dropbox, and "use the previously existing library at the new location"?
I feel it can't be that easy and I'm probably missing something So somebody please tell me yea or nay as to whether I have figured it out.

Mary
"Use previously existing library at new location" will look for a library metadata.db file in the folder you named. This works if a library is already there, and calibre just connects to it.

"Create an empty library at the new location" creates a new metadata.db file and builds you an empty library there.

"Move current library to new location" creates a new library just like the second option, then moves your current library and all its data to the new library and deletes the original one. (This is exactly the same as cutting and pasting the whole library folder, except calibre can't use cut and paste so it has to create and delete files instead. Sometimes it is really slow.)

If you want to just move your library into the Dropbox folder, use the third option.

I find it to be too slow though, so instead I do this:

You can go to C:\Users\my name\Documents\My Calibre Library and cut and paste "My Calibre Library" into the Dropbox folder. Use "remove library" to disconnect to your library (which you just moved). Then use the first option to "discover" the new location in your Dropbox.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote