View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #70
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyGrumpy View Post
Hi nrapallo, so glad to get your reply!
Sorry to be so late coming back.
No worries...

Quote:
Just as background, all I did was download the zip file for the IMP GUI Converter, and extracted that entire folder to my drive, then drilled down to the Debug / bin folder and launched the executable. It runs, I just don't know if I need to do anything else to get the html extraction to work.
Using WinXP, when I download the latest ConvertIMPGUI.zip I can produce the .txt, .html and even the .lrf conversions. I attach same below for your perusal.

Quote:
One of the files I was trying was Zelda Pinwheel's "Jumping Frog" by Mark Twain, because I am doing that book in ePub, and wanted to see if she had restored the diacritics (I don't speak French). This is the link .
Ouch, diacritics support IS very limited or even non-existent!!!

Quote:
I tried a couple of other IMP files as well, but can't remember titles just now.

I also googled unsuccessfully for a reader app that will display IMP files on my computer.
You can get an imp_viewer for your PC when you install the eBook-Publisher software available from here. It even allows you to print the .imp to a printer or to .pdf file using a PDF printer driver like PrimoPDF (it's free).

Quote:
All I want to do is extract a reasonably clean text or html file that I can convert to ePub. Did I misunderstand what this tool does?
The steps I take are usually click the tabs in order i.e. General, Book Properties, and then Text Content. Once there, I click the Save Text button first, then the Save Html button. The latter launches a browser to display the results, but saves the .html anyway.

Quote:
I will give a try to the other extraction tool you linked to, and see how that goes.
I used the Ebook-Tools v0.4.6 to convert the .imp to .html and the results were quite acceptable. I did notice that the diacritics didn't translate well and discovered that the .imp stores them in "MacRoman" OS font encoding!!!! I knew the original SoftBook (like my REB1200) used the Mac OS as its base for the GUI and now I know it also used it for the text encoding! That was news to me!!! [BTW, I used 'iconv' to convert from macroman text to ascii text.]

Anyway, I attach the various conversions using ConvertIMPGUI, Ebook-Tools, imp_dump and PrimoPDF/imp_viewer!

Quote:
Thanks for the advice!
No problem, this was a worthwhile exercise for me.

Oh, and the .html source (now attached as "frog-html.zip" below) used for Zelda's .imp version has been already converted to .epub and .pdf at Feedbooks.com here! Just use these instead of converting....

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: zip ConvertIMPGUI.v.1.3.6a-imp-conversion.zip (78.4 KB, 870 views)
File Type: zip EBook-Tools-0.4.6-imp-conversion.zip (61.7 KB, 838 views)
File Type: zip impviewer-print-to-pdf-imp-conversion.zip (1,002.1 KB, 817 views)
File Type: zip Imp_dump_v0.1_windows_executable-imp-conversion.zip (46.9 KB, 788 views)
File Type: zip frog-html.zip (17.4 KB, 784 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 11-13-2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: attached original source .html as retrieved by WayBackMachine at archive.org
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote