View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #14
sarah11918
Edge User

A few quick notes re: notes and highlighting

re: Notes:

The journal software is pretty awesome. Just about as good as Journal Note on a tablet PC. I don't think anyone has any complaints about the functions of the journal as a writing app, other than maybe wishing files could be attached to it.

You can add "notes" (like post-its - typed, using virtual keyboard) to pdfs, and they even show up as entries in the table of contents. Handy especially if your pdf didn't have a TOC to begin with - now you have one.

You can scribble a note on a pdf, and I think the only issue with the big edge is that the scribble maintains its position on the screen even if you change the zoom of the document. Since my pdfs tend to be single column, and I don't need to zoom, I don't have any trouble. Search the threads for other people's experience using phrases like "two column" or "zoom annotations"

re: Highlighter
Also like notes, a highlighter mark creates an entry in a table of contents. So if you're reading an article "10 ways to..." you can simply highlight each #1, #2 etc. and you have an instant table of contents! By default the TOC entry will be whatever words you've highlighted, but you can edit that. So that's what's particularly cool about highlighting.

Downside: depending on how the document was formatted, some files don't separate words/highlights in their own meta data very well, and that means getting exact highlights (starting and stopping on just exact text) can be tricky because whatever data the edge is reading to decide what is a separate word or line might be compromised. If I want exactly certain words highlighted only, I may have to try 2-3 times to get it the way I want it. More often, I use highlighting only to reference a particular place (not line of text) because it might never work out perfectly, so search the threads for "highlighting" and see what you get.