View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
sarah11918
Edge User

Hi Lorenzo,

We honestly don't know whether to expect updates or support, but we can tell you that most of the anger here is not related to the actual product itself. Most of us are very pleased with the device, we are just concerned because no one from the company has given any updates in a long time, and we had become used to semi-regular, even if only minor, updates and communication from the company.

All of the talk here is just us trying to make sense of a company that gives us no information. But, there really aren't any other products on the market that do what the Edge does, so it is quite useful. If there are no updates, though, then you will eventually find that Android 1.6 is going to be really far behind. But I would say anyone buying now, providing your device is working properly, should expect to get a good year (Would you all agree? I actually think 2 years if it doesn't break, depending on how long Android 1.6 remains functional) of functionality out of the device, as per it's current, stated specs.

If you can live with only the features it has now, and don't care whether you can add a lot of newer Android apps (and are content with basic email, twitter, web applications), and are willing to spend whatever cost it's being offered at, then I still think it's great device.

If I were trying to decide now, I would say: for the price it's offered at, am I OK with this device never getting any better than what it is right now and using it for 1 - 2 years? If you can say yes, then I do think it's still a worthwhile purchase. If you really have your sights set on the future of this kind of technology, or aren't very "forgiving" with first-generation products, then I would say wait and see what comes out later, or wait until there's some major announcement that causes current owners to sell at discounted prices, perhaps.

That's just how I would look at it, personally.

EDITED TO ADD: that whole 1-2 year thing is really the worst case: the company closes, no longer supports the device. That's why I framed it that way, because I would expect that that is your worst case scenario. There are many more, better case scenarios. But if you can live with the worst, you can surely live with something better!

Last edited by sarah11918; 03-23-2011 at 02:28 PM.