Thread: LCD vs. e-ink
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 11:20 PM   #68
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
As for your second point I agree, but it also works the other way around as well, if those who PREFER e-ink could avoid all of the rhetoric & insults to lcd screens which is mostly nonsence, there would be nothing to squabble over in this thread.
I concur. But one way to avoid such issues is to not to respond in kind.

Quote:
This is simply a matter of different strokes for different folks. I will eventually have both my Sony AND an color ereader once they work out the majority of the bugs. It does NOT have to be an either or situation that everyone always insists on making out of issues like this.
<shrug>

I'm one of the folks for whom advancing age has caused eye changes, and wear reading glasses. As I aged, I got far sighted.

I don't have a problem with LCD screens. I've been staring at CRT screens for a majority of the day for many years, starting back before LCD became the preferred technology, and never found it a problem, though I recognize some folks do. (I know one chap who developed an actual allergy to large CRT screens, which was problematic as he works for a major computer vendor.)

My default reader is a PDA, for three reasons:

1) I need color support. A fair bit of what I read uses it. For instance, I collect electronic versions of illustrated children's books that are coming into the public domain. Illustrations by Randolph Caldecott, Arthur Rackham, or N. C. Wyeth rendered in 16 shade grayscale? No, thank you.

2) I need a device that does other things besides display ebooks. Dedicated readers are becoming multi-function, but aren't at a point I'd use. While half the purpose in life for my PDA is reading ebooks, I can create, view and edit documents and spreadsheets, perform standard PDA functions like keep my calendar, appointments, and address book, view videos, listen to audio files, surf the web, program in an assortment of languages, keep a reference library of information that is not in ebook format, play with code in an assortment of languages, and oh, yes, I can play games. The one thing I don't do with the PDA is make phone calls - I have a separate cell phone, and don't want a converged device. I'll carry around a xell phone and PDA. I won't carry a cell phone, PDA, and reader.

3) With my PDA, I can read just about anything. About the only popular current format I can't read is ePub, as no ePub reader is available for my device, but I can convert ePub to something I can read. I wouldn't mind a larger screen, but can deal with the one I have.

The biggest advantage to eInk devices for anybody is increased battery life, as eInk requires no power to refresh the screen once a page is rendered. I wouldn't mind longer battery life, but my PDA gets topped off nightly, and I've never had a case where I exhausted the battery before being able to recharge. I'm a little bemused at complaints about the color nook's 8 hour battery life. Assuming it actually gets that life, I wonder how many folks might find themselves in a position where they will drain the battery before they can recharge, and what they'll be doing that will put them in that position.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote