View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014, 02:20 PM   #14
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
There was an episode of Night Court where an author hired a minister to protest against his book in order to drum up sales. The Last Temptation of Christ would have quickly faded into obscurity had it not been for protests. Few would know of the existence of The Satanic Verses had it not been for protests. I would never have heard of The Hindus had it not been for this. Taking this book off the market in India won't make it go away, it will still be available outside of India, and even in India it will be available to anyone who wants to download it. Many more people will be aware of this book because of this who would not have heard of it otherwise. That's one great thing about e-books, it makes it harder than ever to tell people they can't have a book. I downloaded a sample of it to see what the fuss is about it, and I won't be alone.
I must disagree with you about the Last Temptation of Christ, or any of Kazantzakis' books. But your points are accurate. At least only the book will be banned in India. Some places on Earth still take it much further, back centuries.

Iranian poet executed for 'waging war on God'

Last edited by Hamlet53; 02-13-2014 at 02:54 PM.