View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Lightbulb I always wondered what happened to Frodo's mithril mail shirt.

And you're thinking one of two things.
1) If you haven't read Lord of the Rings you're confused.
2) You're wondering that this has to do with the Touch.
Bear with me.
Spoiler:

Gandalf states "Bilbo had a corslet of mithril-rings that Thorin gave him. I wonder what has become of it? Gathering dust still in Michel Delving Mathom-house, I suppose.’
‘What?’ cried Gimli, startled out of his silence. ‘A corslet of Moria-silver? That was a kingly gift!’
‘Yes,’ said Gandalf. ‘I never told him, but its worth was greater than the value of the whole Shire and everything in it.’"

Later it was taken by the orcs. I had always wondered what happened to it. Was it ever returned to Frodo? Well somehow, in my previous two readings of the books over the last few decades I had not noticed what happened to it. Maybe I do read too fast.

So today I did a search on the word mithril in The Return of the King in the Touch. Something you can't do in a dead tree book.

And now I see it that had been displayed as a trophy by the Messenger of Sauron at the final confrontation whereupon Gandalf seized it and later returned it to Frodo after Frodo was rescued. Ahh, so nice that this dangling end was take care of. It's always bothered me. Just a little.

P.S. And now that I've reread the books I'm going to have a marathon Lord of the Rings video session over the weekend.

Last edited by TonyToews; 12-02-2011 at 12:42 AM.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote