View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 09:41 PM   #266
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mick View Post
Hi all,

2. Because I bought a licence for Scrivener, for the final edit, I exported my novel to that. It is a completely different working environment and will take a lot for me to learn, if I persist with it. The ruler, for example is hidden away under Formatting, rather than in the more common View menu. There are many, many idiosyncratic features to this software, so new users should be prepared for frustrations. One thing I find hard to cope with is the menu item that opens a (dictionary/thesaurus) site in the default browser: in LSB the equivalent worked fine with multiple desktops, but in Scrivener, the window opens in the first desktop which is annoying if you're not working in that one. Scrivener has an active user forum but woe betide anyone who criticizes Scrivener - I added my support for someone who found fault with the UI and was quickly told I didn't even have the right to air my views! The OP was similarly dealt with. The forum I think, is poorly moderated and dominated by some who have fairly strong opinions. I'm tempted to use the word "rabid", but won't just for now. That said, any question you might have has probably already been answered so you can find answers without even joining the forum.
There are several books for sale over at Amazon which teach you how to use Scrivener better. One of them is "Writing a Novel with... Scrivener" by David Hewson. It's broken down into sections as follows:

1. Understanding the basics
2. Work in Progress
3. Revision
4. Collaboration and other platforms
5. Compile

And each section is broken down further into smaller sections that discuss a feature.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote