View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 08:07 AM   #21
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
Btw, Mackx, I think you work as C developer for embeded devices so maybe you can explain us if it's worth to build a newer gcc or pcc cross-compilers?
would we get any speed difference in the binaries? Devel env includes gcc v4.3.0. but gcc v4.4 and v4.5 changes notes ([5], [6]) list some performance improvements for ARM processors.
That is a good question, I was never involved in selecting a compiler version. Unfortunately my company is downsizing, so the knowledge is now somewhere in India, with collegues that I do not know.
Are there any measurements available on the internet comparing the gcc versions for an arm11 or comparing pcc against gcc (is pcc faster in compiling or does it generate faster code?). Is it a 5-10% improvement or a much more?
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote