Thread: OTG support
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #46
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
For the Kindle, it doesn't matter - the "Cable ID" connection is not recognized.
That is the job of the "OTG Auto Sense" feature that is not present.

It might work on one of your other devices (with an OTG Host adapter) - that would tell you if it (the adapter) works.
Perhaps I should have mentioned that in my post above like I did in other posts where USB OTG was discussed.

Some devices (such as the kindles) do not connect that 5th pin to anything, and so they cannot sense a jumper in the cable. Even if there was a hardware connection, the firmware must be programmed to use that signal and not just ignore it.

In the case of the Nook Simple Touch (in another forum), they use a software program to toggle USB host mode, because the NST also does not have any connection to that OTG auto-sense pin. Perhaps we could port the NST OTG mode switching program to the kindles. Using software, we do not care if our OTG adapter cables have that extra internal jumper.

In the case of my Nexus 7, I do care about the OTG adapter auto-sense jumper because using the wrong cable prevents USB device automounting.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-21-2012 at 12:10 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote