View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Swift View Post
Compared to my iPad, it is pretty rough.
Not a surprise you can't compare a high end device to a low end device. A better comparison would have been to use ezPDF/ReplGo with a Transformer

Quote:
I uploaded a PDF I had made using LaTeX and was not too impressed by the size and quality. To be fair, the PDF I had made was optimized for A4 paper.
If you are generating the PDF then you should change your LaText code to be optimized for a 7" screen. It will be a much better reading experience for the reader.

If your PDFs are nothing more than text however good readers like RepliGo and ezPDF can easily reflow the PDF and it will look nice. However if you have equations and pretty formating it will be lost. Which I then go back to saying make the PDF optimized for a 7" tablet.

Quote:
I use GoodReader on my iPad for reading and storing PDF files and it is an excellent program. Is there an equivalent free version for Android?
Yes there are two that give you a similar user experience. However the Android versions do not have the file management that GoodReader has because that is not really needed in Android. I would install a file management app like ES Explorer to access files and

For PDF readers there are quite a few of them, but personally I like ezPDF and RepliGo the best--however they are both pay apps.

RepliGo is probably the best overall as far as feature and PDF rendering, it's fast and has full feature annotations and great customer support.

ezPDF has a nice UI and has the best zoom/read feature*. ezPDF has two price points one is $1 for it's reading/rendering then the pro $3 for full annotations and cloud storage. It has a nice plugin for dropbox and google docs.

Mantano has a nice PDF reading at it has annotations but it proprietary to Mantano where RepliGo and ezPDF use the Adobe PDF standard annotations. Also its PDF rendering is not as good as the other two.

* what I'm calling the zoom/read feature is when you zoom by double tapping it forms a thin yellow line around the margins and simply tapping the bottom of the page will page next page. This is nice and keeps the reading continuous so one does not have to pan zoom out to read the next section or page.

Last edited by =X=; 05-22-2012 at 11:57 AM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote