View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 08:06 AM   #38
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
All punctuation is stylistic. You can eliminate all periods if you wish; and, but and or will get you pretty far!

The end result is all that matters. When you are expressing yourself in writing, what manner of phrasing and punctuation best conveys your intent? You can certainly replace a semicolon with a period but does the result read the same? Of course not.
Has anyone read Donald Barthleme's "Sentence"? I haven't found the story (which consists of a single sentence) on line yet, but I have fond memories of reading it in the collection City Life, and a critic discusses it and other entries in the Olympic Sentence Length Competition here.

Oh, and about the author:

Quote:
Ed Park is the author of “Personal Days,” a novel that ends with a sentence over 16,000 words long.
I haven't read that book yet, but I imagine there might be semicolons.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 12-09-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote