View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I am waiting for the next issue of Samsung Galaxy Players.

The new 4 inch iPod Touches are superior to the Samsung screens.

The hardware doesn't really matter so much anymore because everyone's is more powerful.

The Android system has more practical choices than the iOS and is cheaper, but the use of the iPod Touch is better in the hand.

And again the screen is much better for the iPod Touch than the Galaxy Player.

Samsung has to move up from its 800x600 screen. The real estate (size) is fine, but the screen has to be made better.

If I moved from my Droid I today, I would go with the iPod Touch hardware. I don't like that.

Where and when is the next issue of Samsung Players? They have the screen technology. They make it for Apple and others and apply it to their phones. They just need to apply it to their players.
With the continued push for converged devices, standalone players are no longer as popular as they once were. The smartphone market is highly competitive and so that is where the focus is. The current Galaxy player line up is 2 years old and the specs were low-end even for devices back then.

When I was looking for a standalone Android-based pocketable device, I took many serious long looks at the Galaxy players, but couldn't justify spending the $190-$220 they still sell for new.

That's when I decided to buy a Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket smartphone... new, no contract, for $220. Overall it is a much nicer device than the Galaxy players, IMO. Better camera, replaceable battery, nicer screen, faster processor. And when put in airplane-mode and judicious use of WiFi, battery life rivals my iPod Touch 4G.

I'm running Nova Launcher on it and use it primarily as a portable music/video player. Play a few games on it. Using Moon+ can even read my epub, pdf, and cbz/cbr books.

I've hidden virtually all traces of the phone components (except for the "AT&T" stamped on the case) no one would know it was a phone.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote