View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #17
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well, as always...

The big problem is, getting them to work across all devices. Some readers will honor the placement, some, not so much. The vertical spacing is usually the tricky bit; the horizontal placement usually works best. If at all possible, if you can remotely use real letters instead, I'd personally recommend it, but...if it's an experiment, and you just want to play with it, it's a worthwhile exercise. :-)

Hitch
As ever, Hitch, you are right. I have used two formats to decorate the first character of a chapter. Only the first has been consistant on all devices I have access to and it's an up-cap rather than a drop-cap.

The drop-cap displays very low on the Paperwhite but fine on the other Kindle devices.

I have thought to experiment with glyphs but they seem even more unpredictable. Perhaps I can find a better html call to display the glyphs.

Any criticism will be appreciated.

Code:
.first_letter {
 font-size : 150%;
 font-weight : bold;
/* float:left;*/
 width : 1em;
 color : black;
 }
Code:
span.dropcap {
    float: left;