Thread: e-pub confused
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Actually, the Kobo books that are available in ePub can be added to a Sony reader using the Kobo Desktop software. I sync my PRS-950 with the Kobo software all the time, since that's so much easier than going through the extra steps of adding them through Calibre.
Kobo's ADE ePub and kePub are not the same. You are confusing the two. I understand why since this whole darn DRM issue is ridiculous to begin with, then companies like Kobo decide to make it even worse by trying to limit their specially formatted/DRMed ePubs to their hardware. It is no wonder why Amazon has managed to capture 2/3s of the ebook market with an inferior format (mobi). If Kobo and the other companies using ePubs would settle on a single flavor of ePub and standardize it for all of their hardware, then perhaps Amazon would feel the pressure. But as long as they remain fragmented, Amazon will eat their lunch in the market.

BTW, the Kobo touch even uses a different rendering engine to display ADE ePubs than it does to display kePubs. They have succeeded in confusing even their own customers on this whole ePub verses kePub issue.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-19-2011 at 01:16 PM.