View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #82
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Dickens, Shakespeare and Melville are all pretty wordy by modern standards, but what really kills them, to me, is the dissection.

I can get usually get something out of watching a Shakespeare play, if I'm in the right frame of mind, but I still shy away from the two I studied to death at school.

What kills them is...death. Talk about depressing stuff. Who the hell wants to read downers all the time? Every book I was assigned to read in junior and high school were DEPRESSING ones. Wuthering Heights. GADS. I tried 3 times to read it. What a waste. I tried when I was older just to see if I was missing something. WHAT A WASTE. Should have thrown them all over the cliff 1/4 of the way in.

Shakespeare? Yeah, let's go have death. Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet, Ceasar, etc.

Moby Dick? Why did the whale have to die? Only character I liked.

1984? Who says it was fiction? Just got the year wrong.

Hmph.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote