Thread: PRS-T1 Modified Sony home screen
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 06:14 AM   #501
ousia
Enthusiast
ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Many thanks your replies, jackie_w, Nick_1964 and JSWolf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The difficulty is not knowing what css class selector name will be used for smallcaps in your many and varied epubs. I think the best you would be able to do is to add something like the following to your default.css file
Code:
.smallcaps, .smallcaps1, .smallcaps2, .small-caps, .sc, .fsc, .smallCaps, .Smallcaps, .SmallCaps {
    font-family: serifsc, serif;
    font-variant: normal;
    }
where the red bit is a list of the class names you think might have been used. You will catch some that way, but it's obviously guesswork
I think it would be easier to edit each file that uses small caps (I don’t have many ones).

What I intended is something like:

Code:
IF font-variant: small-caps
    THEN USE font-family: serifsc
But now I know this is impossible. After all, this is a workaround for a bug in Adobe Reader Mobile and I think that my fix can do the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
Use sigil, you can edit an ebook without compressing,decompressing,remove fonts or css.
Thanks for the tip.

I’m fine with 7-Zip in Windows or file-roller in Linux. They do the work for me. Compression and decompression is automatically performed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But you still have to go into the ePub's XML files and convert the smallcaps text to lowercase as the simulated smallcaps use uppercase text. I have never seen simulated smallcaps that are not in uppercase.
Sorry, I’m afraid I haven’t expressed myself in an accurate way.

There is a way to use (not even simulate) small caps with lowercase letters. It requires to create a font that replaces all lowercase glyphs with the small caps ones. And then use that font.

This exactly the way small caps are used in this ePub file.

Quote:
Actually, he said...

Quote:
In my ePubs (at least in some of them) the spans marked for the use smallcap font are already in lowercase.
So not all are lowercase. And that means converting the uppercase to lowercase.
You’re right: not all books are in lowercase. I have books that have faked small caps with all in uppercase characters. But I don’t have problems with this, because I don’t mind that small caps are faked in this case.

What I meant too is that I haven’t checked them all .

Quote:
There is something wrong with those ePub that have lowercase small caps as you cannot simulate small caps with lowercase.
I hope it is clear now how I can be achieved. I’m not faking smallcaps, I’m using the real glyphs.

Many thanks again for all your replies.