View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
RKanarek
RKanarek began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek AEBK01F ...
Well designed PDF viewer?

Greetings.

Aside: The sad part is not that I’m replying to this tread nearly two years late. The sad part is that, by my standards, my reply is almost prompt. ;-)

While Google PDFs--and other similar PDFs--are “normal PDFs,” they aren’t typical PDFs. They are little more than photo albums masquerading as PDFs, although, as I understand it, newer (to me) Google book PDFs also include poor quality OCR-generated text behind the photos.

This brings me to my question: Are there any ereaders that have quality PDF-viewers that can make at least some Google scanned books readable?

Until a recent mishap involving gravity and a concrete floor, I was using an Aluratek AEBK01F ereader. Its 5” screen made it very poorly suited for reading scanned-book PDFs, but it *could* have sufficed for some scanned books if its PDF viewer had been better. If I could have zoomed the pages as needed (instead of in fixed increments), if it would have allows me to scroll continuously down through the entire PDF, and if it would have allowed me to scroll horizontally AND kept the position even as I went from page to page, it would have been great(er). It doesn’t, not even with the “V0.20i, V20” (ca. November, 2011) version of its firmware. Do any other ereaders have better PDF viewing software?

Thanks in advance!

Cordially,
Richard Kanarek
RKanarek is offline   Reply With Quote